A minha Lista de blogues

segunda-feira, 5 de março de 2012

Why "IN THE WORLD OF CLIL"???

Being a teacher of english at the university I'm very often confrontated with the students' needs. They need to know ENGLISH, of course! But they have special vocabulary needs. They need to know how to operate with specific fields of expertise, but it english. That is, for the language teacher, a great challenge. Greater than I ever imagined, I should add! I do know english, but I don't know (or didn't know) the english used by electricians, civil engineers, librariens, managers....

Is this CLIL? It is a kind of CLIL. I would not dare to clame it CLIL, but it is a kind of CLIL... it is in the universe of CLIL - hence, the name of the blog - IN THE WORLD OF CLIL

2 comentários:

  1. I've experienced a similar problem with my CEF and professional classes. They expect to learn English that is related to their area, whether that's electricity, sports, aircrafts engineering, you name it!
    Congratulations on your blog and keep up the good work! I'll probably be visiting regularly :-)

    ResponderEliminar
  2. It sounds like you are teaching very specific vocabulary but the key difference is whether you are really teaching vocabulary (ESP) or teaching the subject itself (CLIL). Clearly there is some overlap between the two.

    ResponderEliminar